As the financial sector is the driving force of any economy, the players in the financial sector require innovative thinkers and expert advisers on its ever-changing demands. With our knowledge and experience of the global financial markets, we advise a wide array of clients on various financial issues such as competing bankruptcy and restructuring regimes, bank regulation and compliance issues and other matters that require skilled and experienced legal counsel.
Our lawyers play major roles on high-profile transactions including innovative lending transactions as well as refinancing and restructuring of secured transactions. Our banking practice includes secured credit transactions; SME based financing, debt swaps, real estate finance, asset finance, sale and leaseback transactions, and operational and finance lease transactions.
Our Clients range from top financial institutions which include commercial, merchant and specialized banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions to big corporates in several industries. With our experience and knowledge in mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate restructuring and capital markets, we are able to give innovative advice to and represent our Clients on a wide range of financial transactions.
Our Client successes in this area include:
- We successfully advised a major financial institution on the legitimacy and enforceability of a bi-lateral currency arrangement.
- We advised one of our Clients on a major project on access to finance under an equity investment scheme initiated by a major financial institution.
- We recently advised and represented a major financial institution in a multifaceted loan recovery dispute before the United States Bankruptcy Court, Texas and the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
- In 2018 we acted as counsel in Nigeria’s biggest currency swap (Nigeria-China Currency Swap), working for the Central Bank of Nigeria in its partnership with the People’s Bank of China.
- We also assist multinationals in the divestment of their investments in Nigeria. Our lawyers are also skilled in the legal aspects of debt recovery and negotiation of trade settlements.
- We have also advised the Central Bank of Nigeria on a number of its financial regulations regarding the financial technology industry in Nigeria.
- We regularly advise Nigerian banks on non-performing loans and related issues as wells as regulatory compliance issues.
- We have advised a major financial institution on restructuring its shareholding structure and recently advised a Swedish bank on Nigeria’s Forex Regulation.
- Kenna Partners advised a New York listed multinational conglomerate (a Delaware registered company) in a US$55 million divestiture of its investments in Nigeria. The firm worked with leading US firms on the divestiture including the exit disputes in New York and we acted as Solicitors to a French Company in its divestment from a Nigerian Company. We are also currently advising a leading mall development investing company on its real estate investment scheme in Nigeria.
- Kenna Partners has also worked on a project for the SME Department of the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and World Bank on the development of small and medium scale businesses in Nigeria, (transformation from informal to formal sector of the economy) as well as a project on access to finance under the SMEIS scheme initiated by the Bankers’ Committee. The firm was a core member of the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) sub-group on ‘SMEs and Wealth Creation’.
Our banking, investment and corporate finance unit is highly skilled in capital market affairs and capital raising exercises. We understand the importance of investment and capital in the development of our economy and assist our Clients through this process; we have assisted a number of clients on their capital raising exercises, project and corporate finance transactions relating to huge investments in Nigeria.