Corporate & Commercial Law
Kenna Partners has substantial experience in commercial restructurings including foreign direct investments, franchises, and strategic alliances. We provide services for businesses in these specific areas. Clients in this field include start-up ventures, small and medium scale enterprises, and well-established multinational corporations.
We also assist our clients with due diligence, evaluation of bid proposals, drafting of corporate governance guidelines, pensions and employment principles and procedural guidelines. Our firm is strongly affiliated to the Society for Corporate Governance, Nigeria. The Firm’s advice and representation ranges from initial business planning along company structure, organization, registration and financing, to ongoing regulatory and corporate compliance. It also extends to related matters such as brokerage and advisory contracts, tax planning, employee benefits and investment regulations etc.
Corporate Governance Expertise:
The Firm advises public companies and large private companies on elements of corporate governance and best practices as the companies should adopt and also ensure that existing practices are reviewed to bring about sound corporate governance in client organizations. The Corporate Governance team of Kenna Partners served as principal consultants to the Securities and Exchange Commission Committee on Corporate Governance in Nigeria (www.secngr.org) and assisted the SEC Committee in producing a Report based on comparative analysis of Corporate Governance practices in other jurisdictions, research and statistical findings, and also drafted a Code on Corporate Governance for the SEC. One of our firm members chaired the Nigerian Communications Commission Committee of Corporate Governance that issued the 2014 Code of Corporate Governance for the telecommunication sector of the Nigerian economy.
Services as Company Secretary:
The firm’s affiliate KP Nominees Ltd. provides services as company secretary on retainer basis to Clients. The services include the following:
- Attending meetings of Shareholders, and Board of directors; and advising on compliance with the applicable rules and regulations;
- Ensuring Regulatory Compliance and maintaining registers & records required by the Companies & Allied Matters Act 1990;
- Rendering statutory returns to the Corporate Affairs Commission, and carrying out such necessary administrative or secretarial duties;
- Advising on Ownership and Management functions and rights.
Business Establishments & Immigration Procedures
The Firm’s affiliate KP Nominees Ltd. Provides business establishment & immigration support services which include the following:
- Obtaining expatriate quota (statutory permission to employ expatriates);
- Obtaining business permits;
- Securities and Exchange Commission approvals;
- Resident permits for expatriate staff and families;
- Temporary Work Permits (90 day permits with renewable options);
- Offshore Permits;
- Directorate of Petroleum Resources Licenses;
- STR Visas;
- Statutory licenses and other Industry specific government approvals.